Guide to preparing furniture for a move within Pennsylvania
Get a Free Moving Quote
Your furniture must always be dealt with appropriately during a relocation, whether you hire professionals or do it yourself. When you move into your new home, you want your most valued belongings to be in excellent condition. Wood furniture can be scratched, upholstery can be shredded, and glass can break if necessary precautions are not taken. Fortunately, with a few simple items and a few simple procedures, you can move your delicate furniture without risking damage. When it comes to preparing furniture for a move within Pennsylvania, these ideas from Zippy Shell of Greater Philadelphia will come in handy.
Thoroughly clean your furniture before starting to pack. You should be aware that during the relocation procedure, dust and other particles can harm the surfaces of your furniture. Cleaning your furniture before moving in makes you sure you won’t bring any undesirable dirt into your new house. Don’t forget about removing the drawers from dressers and desks and filling them with other stuff. This gives you more storage space while also allowing you to move heavy items more easily.
Completely dismantle your furniture. Tables and couches should have their legs removed. Take apart the bed frames completely. Take out the cushions. In other words, if a piece of furniture can be safely dismantled, take advantage of it. This will help your movers Paoli PA move the furniture easier and will help avoid damage from hitting walls or door frames. It will also make packing your moving truck a lot easier. Keep in mind the following suggestions:
- Always consult the owner’s manual for instructions on how to properly dismantle furniture.
- Keep the screws and other hardware for each piece of furniture in sealable plastic bags.
- If a piece of furniture has a lot of components, mark where each one goes with masking tape and a marker.
- To save time on moving day, consider removing furniture the day before.
Get necessary packing supplies
It’s a frequent moving misconception that you only need cardboard boxes, packing tape, and moving blankets to pack and secure your stuff. While these items may suffice, investing in a few more materials will ensure a smooth transition to a new house or storage facility. Purchase the necessary moving supplies for your furniture online or at your local hardware store:
- Bubble wrap
- Covers for sofa and mattresses
- Plastic stretch wrap
- Sealable plastic bags
- Panels of corrugated cardboard
Wrapping furniture correctly is essential for preparing furniture for a move within Pennsylvania properly
When it comes to properly moving your furniture, bubble wrap and plastic sheeting are two of the best tools at your disposal. Protect delicate wood items with bubble wrap. If your goal is to preserve your upholstered objects, use plastic wrap or special plastic sofa covers. Consider placing corrugated cardboard sheets between wooden parts. This provides additional protection and helps to avoid gouges or scratches while the furniture is being transported. Bubble wrap is also great for protecting mirrors and glass tabletops. Consider sticking a large “X” on the item with painter’s tape first to make it less prone to shatter if it does break. Completely wrap the glass or mirror, paying careful attention to the corners.
Don’t move heavy furniture by yourself
This tip may seem funny, but you’d be totally amazed how many individuals try to lift large furniture without assistance. This is extremely dangerous on two levels. It can do harm to the person trying to move the heavy furniture. Moreover, it will surely shatter or damage the furniture (as well as the floors!). When moving furniture, always be sure to get help. Seek for help from friends or family members ahead of time.
Inquire about valuation coverage and insurance
Accidents do occur, so be ready. Don’t rely on the fact that hiring expert movers will guarantee that your belongings won’t get broken or damaged during the relocation. A majority of professional movers take great care when handling furniture and other household valuables. However, there are those who may not be careful. Furthermore, even the most experienced movers make mistakes when transporting large items. If you want to employ professional movers Conshohocken PA to assist you with your move, make sure you look into all of your valuation coverage and insurance choices.
What not to do
When preparing furniture for a move within Pennsylvania you also have to know what NOT to do. Here are a few things – shortlisted and quick-to-read. Just in case!
- Don’t pack or move furniture that is too old or too damaged. Packing and moving unneeded items will take its toll on your wallet.
- Before you even begin packing your furniture, make sure you have all of the necessary packing supplies. Remember that packing paper, bubble wrap, stretch wrap, and furniture blankets are all essentials for a good packing job.
- Furniture that is dusty and unclean should not be packed before taking care of that. Why? Any abrasive particles that linger on the delicate surface may cause damage during the relocation.
- Don’t use bubble wrap or packing tape (!) directly on sensitive furniture surfaces. Instead, wrap such delicate furniture in soft and blank packing paper as an initial layer of protection, then cover it with bubble wrap or moving blankets as a second layer of protection.
- Don’t leave parts of your furniture unprotected thinking that they won’t get destroyed. Even with the most professional movers Narberth PA, it’s never a good idea to rely on luck. The whole procedure is very unpredictable, and you should be prepared for the worst.
Wishing you a safe relocation
The decision to use moving services or move on your own is totally up to you. We hope you don’t have any moving stress and that all of your belongings arrive in one piece. That’s why proper preparing furniture for a move within Pennsylvania is critical. Don’t forget to personalize your new home and create a pleasant environment for yourself. Once you’ve done that, put yourself out there and prepare to meet new people.