Hidden costs of moving and ways to avoid them
Get a Free Moving Quote
Moving from one place to the other is something like an emotional rollercoaster! From the moment you start to prepare your relocation until you move in, you will go through tons of emotions. Anxiety, anticipation, stress, excitement, are only some of them. But don’t let this stop you from organizing your relocation! In order to keep the stress and all the negative emotions, you will want to learn everything you can about the process of relocation and how to make it simpler. To help you out, we, at Zippy Shell Greater Philadelphia, have written a guide on one of the main causes of moving stress – hidden moving costs! With our help, you will learn all about the hidden costs of moving and ways to avoid them.
So, what do you say – are you ready to take the moving stress away? If so, make sure to keep reading!
What are the most common hidden moving costs?
Most people think that relocations have to cost a fortune. But, that is not the case! Even though it is true that some moving companies are more expensive than others, you can also find residential movers Philadelphia that are both affordable and of high quality! Finding these companies will definitely help you save money but you can save even more money by learning about the hidden costs of moving and how to avoid them. To help you manage this, here os the list of the most common hidden moving costs of which you need to be aware of.
- Food and lodging. There is a big chance that during the move you won’t be able to cook. This means that you will eat a lot at restaurants or order takeouts. Also, in case you need to move over long distances, you are going to need to book a hotel or a motel to get some sleep. Driving while being tired is something you should avoid doing at any cost!
- Not getting a security deposit back. Have you been renting your former home? If so, bear in mind that you might not get your security deposit back if you haven’t take care of the home the way you should have.
- Additional fees. These are the most common hidden fees! You can easily become their victim if you don’t get informed about additional fees of hiring a moving company. Some additional fees include packing and unpacking fees, fees for moving heavy items, fees for using stairs or elevators, loading and unloading fees, etc.
How to avoid the hidden costs of moving?
As you can see there are many hidden costs of moving. Whether you decide to hire local movers Philadelphia or move on your own, it is almost certain that you will have to deal with these hidden costs. However, we are here to help you avoid all of them and move without spending a fortune! All you have to do is read carefully and write things down if it is necessary. Here are the best ways of avoiding hidden costs!
Do your homework
The best way of avoiding hidden costs is to get informed about them! Sure, you can ask your friends who have recently moved whether they can tell you a thing or two about moving costs. However, you can’t expect that they will tell you everything about this matter! So, your goal and your responsibility will be to do your homework and start learning about moving costs.
It is true that additional fees are one of the main reasons why your relocation is expensive. But, we have to be honest. This is mostly your mistake. Additional fees exist and if you don’t pay attention when hiring movers and you simply get tons of services, you will pay more. So, when hiring a moving company, your job will be to ask the moving company about the additional fees. Ask whether there are any and get informed about them. After this, you will be able to plan your moving budget like a pro! For example, if you want to save a couple of bucks and you have found out your movers charge extra for packing service, consider packing on your own. Easy-peasy!
In addition to this, your move needs to be carefully planned. Most people are aware of this but they keep forgetting to take care of one simple task – reserving a parking spot! Because of this, they end up getting a parking ticket and that is the last thing you need on the day of the big move. So, to avoid this cost, make sure to find and reserve a parking spot in Philadelphia in advance!
Hiring a reliable moving company – the simplest way of avoiding hidden moving costs
There is no doubt that the simplest way of moving is with the help of moving experts! However, this doesn’t mean that you should hire the first moving company you stumble upon! Moving scammer exist and you will need to learn how to avoid them. In most cases, moving scammers can ask of you to pay for the move in advance after which they will disappear, make you sign a blank moving contract and add additional fees after, and so on.
On the other hand, reliable movers will inform you about the services they offer and additional fees. In case their packing service Philadelphia isn’t free, they will tell you that (or at least they won’t hide it). Therefore, when it comes to hidden costs of moving and ways to avoid them, the best advice is to find and hire a reliable moving company!
Want to save even more money on your move? Follow these tips!
Avoiding hidden moving costs will help you save a couple of bucks on your relocation. But, you can do many other things that can help you save even more money! Here are some of them:
- Declutter before you start to pack and you will move fewer items which means you will need fewer packing supplies.
- Find free moving boxes. You can stop by your closest grocery store or library and ask them whether they have extra cardboard boxes.
- Look for alternatives to traditional packing materials. You can use suitcases, laundry baskets, bed linen… Just think outside the box!
There you have it. These are the most important things you need to know about the hidden costs of moving and ways to avoid them! In case you have any questions, or you simply want to get a trustworthy moving ally, make sure to get in touch with us! We will gladly help you relocate in the simplest possible manner!