Tips for preventing mold in storage units
Get a Free Moving Quote
Relocation has a reputation for being a tedious and stressful activity. This is mainly because it is quite difficult to balance between organizing a full-scale move and resuming with your regular daily activities like work and children. Furthermore, relocation is not something we do every day, and we are not familiar with all aspects of the move. How to pack my belongings? What is the average cost of a move? How to pick the right local movers PA? How to sell my old house? As you can see, there are many questions but don’t worry we are here to help you out. We will talk about the storage facilities, or more precisely, about the ways of preventing mold in storage units. It is important to know this because the safety of your belongings is at stake here. So, make yourself a cup of coffee and let’s delve into this.
Wise choices will help you with preventing mold in storage units
Whether you are storing your belongings temporarily until your new apartment is ready to move in, or you decided to downsize and organize your apartment, a storage unit could be a great solution. But before you decide to rent one there are some basic rules that you must be aware of. A quality storage unit must tick all these boxes:
- Safety rating. This is the most important parameter of all, one that guarantees that your belongings won’t disappear overnight. A reliable storage facility must be equipped with video monitoring systems, night guards, and quality locks.
- Climate control. This is the first step towards preventing mold in storage units. Most companies that offer storage services have climate-controlled units at their disposal. Additionally, this feature will also prevent extreme outside temperatures from affecting your stored goods.
- Accessibility. Is it possible to park the truck in front of the facility? Are they open 0-24? Do they work on holidays? This is very important, especially if you plan on storing something that you use relatively often.
- Pick the right size. Determine how much space you need to store your belongings. Don’t waste money on large units that you don’t actually need.
- Read online reviews. See what other customers say about that particular company before you make your choice.
Visit the storage unit from time to time
One of the main causes of mold appearance in storage units is stale air. People organize a local or long-distance move, store their belongings, and then seldom come back to check up on their stuff. You should know that even the best ventilation system is no alternative to clean air. So, we advise you to swing by the storage unit every now and then and to air it out properly. Not to mention that you should check up your storage unit for safety reasons too. While you are there you could clean and vacuum the place. It will only take you a couple of minutes, after all this is storage unit, it doesn’t have to sparkle.
Install tools that will help you with detecting and preventing mold in storage units
Before you rent a storage unit see if there are any cracks or leaks that could lead to moisture building up, and in turn lead to the appearance of mold. Next, install a humidity meter in the unit and see what it says. You can also call the professionals to measure the humidity levels inside the storage unit. If the humidity levels are sufficient for the development of mold, here is what you could do:
- Use desiccant agents like silica. Place silica bags in the boxes where your belongings are stored.
- Strategically place charcoal briskets. Charcoal is a potent moisture absorbent and it also neutralizes unpleasant odors. Replace the briskets every two to three months.
- Buy a moisture absorber. You can find reusable moisture absorbers in every DIY store, and they are present a simple yet effective solution against mold.
- Install and electrical dehumidifier. This could be a great solution if you have electrical sockets in your storage unit. You just have to come now and then to empty the water container.
Pack your belongings carefully before storing
The last line of defense against the mold in storage units is to carefully pack your belongings before storing them. If you are not sure how to do this, or you simply don’t have enough time, you should consider hiring professional packers PA for the job. After all, they have the experience and tools to deal with all types of items. Packing could be crucial because even if the mold appears, proper packing will prevent it from affecting your belongings.
- The first thing you should do is clean everything you intend to store. Don’t forget to thoroughly dry your belongings, as even the slightest sign of moisture can cause mildew and mold to appear.
- Next, use plastic wrapping for packing and tape it firmly.
- If you are storing clothes use plastic vacuum bags
- Try to elevate your belongings from the ground. For this purpose, you can use palettes or install shelves.
Additional tip: Install vapor barriers to prevent mold in storage units
Vapor barriers are a very effective tool for making your storage unit damp-free. You can get them at almost every hardware store, and install them on your own. You can also use polyethylene plastic or foil for this purpose. Place the plastic cover on the warm side of the storage walls to block outdoor moisture. Floors are also a potential source of moisture, so you should also install this plastic membrane beneath the floor.
As you can see, there are many ways to prevent mold in storage units. Follow the advice we gave you here and you can be sure that your belongings will be safe. Good luck!